In this guide, you will learn what it means when Cadillac ABS light stays on, common problems and how to troubleshoot the Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) system.
If your Cadillac ABS light stays on, the anti-lock brake system has detected a problem. Anti-lock brakes, traction control, and stability control will be disabled.
- ABS Light Stays On,
- Longer stopping distance,
- Service Stabilitrak Warning Message
- Service traction control light ON
- Traction control and stability lights ON
When your ABS system fails, you may also get a warning message asking you to service ABS, Traction Control and Stabilitrak.
Possible problems that can trigger the ABS light on a Cadillac include:
- A faulty or dirty wheel speed sensor,
- defective steering angle sensor,
- damaged wires,
- bad ABS module
- blown fuse
- bad ABS relay
Any of these issues can trigger Cadillac ABS light to stay on.
Diagnose Cadillac ABS System
To find out why your Cadillac ABS light is on, you need to read the fault codes form the ABS module. This is a procedure that can be performed by your Cadillac dealer, a local auto mechanic or yourself.
In this guide, we are going to show you how to read fault codes from the ABS module of your Cadillac.
What you will need
Follow these instructions to read ABS fault codes from Cadillac vehicles 1996 and newer. This method works on models such as ATS, CTS, XTS, CT6, XT5, Escalade, SRX, DTS, STS, BLS, XLR and Deville.
- Park your Cadillac on a safe area where you can work.
- Locate Cadillac OBD-2 port under the dashboard.
- Plug OBD-2 scanner into the OBD2 port of your Cadillac
- Turn on the ignition. All Cadillac dashboard lights should turn on but do not start the engine. If your Cadillac has START/STOP button, press it twice without pressing on the brake pedal.
- Allow your Cadillac OBD-2 scanner to connect to the Engine Control Unit (ECU). This may take a few seconds.
- Select Cadillac from the menu. Manually select the Anti-lock Brake System menu.
- Read codes from Cadillac ABS module using a Level 2 OBDII scanner such as Launch Creader
- Once you fix the problem that was discovered in the previous step come back to the ABS menu and clear Cadillac ABS codes.
Don't use a generic OBD-II scanner. A generic scanner will display no error cdoes even if the ABS light is on. For this procedure an ABS Scanner is needed.
If your scanner cannot communicate with the ABS module, it is possible that the ABS module is defective and it needs to either be replaced which can be an expensive repair or use a third party that provides Cadillac ABS Module Repair Service.